top of page
og1.png

wkm03

Tennis

War Memorial Cottage Hospital, Tennis Ground

54.945446, -1.678056

Whickham

Opened:

c1930s

Closed:

c1950s

Repurposed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

8 Sept 2023

HER Description

NEHL - There was a tennis ground contained within the grounds of the War Memorial Cottage Hospital in the 1930s and 40s, and appears to still be in situ in the 1950s. The hospital was formerly a rectory dating from 1713.

The ground was likely used privately for the patients of the hospital, especially as respite during World War Two. It was however built beforehand, so likely part of the facilities rehabilitating patients.

Though the site is still part of the grounds, it is now a modest lawn with no visible signs of the tennis ground.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1947

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The tennis ground can be seen in the centre of the image behind the hospital. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_106g_uk_1051_v_5044 flown 03/12/1945

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page