top of page
og1.png

wkm02

Tennis

Fellside Road, Tennis Ground

54.943856, -1.686073

Whickham

Opened:

1900s

Closed:

c1950s

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

8 Sept 2023

HER Description

NEHL - A tennis ground was situated adjacent to Fellside House in the west of Whickham from the 1900s until the 1950s. It was constructed in a vacant plot between the existing Fellside House and the new developments on Fellside Road leading to Burnopfield.

It was a fairly modest affair with no formal facilities, perhaps hinting it was a private site for the residents of Fellside Road next door. The ground had disappeared from maps surveyed after 1940 however there are indications on an aerial shot from 1956. A rectangular piece of ground seemingly adjoined to Fellside House appears extant.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1947

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Ordnance Survey, 1956

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page