top of page
og1.png

wkm01

Tennis

The Glebe, Tennis Ground

54.943071, -1.681006

Whickham

Opened:

c1910s

Closed:

c1930s

Repurposed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

7 Sept 2023

HER Description

NEHL - A tennis ground was situated in the western boundary of what is now The Glebe ground, home of Whickham CC and Whickham FC.

It popped up around the 1910s and featured two enclosed lawn courts. Two ancillary buildings feature though it isn't known what they were for.

The outline of the ground can be seen in 1945 aerial images in the field full of ridge and furrow. If the land hjad already been used for intense farming, the farmer may have leased the side of the ground for sporting activity. It is worth noting the centre of the field is very flat, indicating its use for sports. A football pitch is marked out in the adjoining the field.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1919

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The disused tennis ground can be seen on this aerial shot from 1945 left of centre. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_106g_uk_1051_v_5044 flown 03/12/1945

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page