top of page


Tennis, Bowls, Croquets

Wheatley Hill Miners Welfare Recreation Ground

54.744565, -1.414477

Wheatley Hill






Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

31 May 2024

HER Description

NEHL - The idea of a Wheatley Hill recreation ground was first mooted in the 1920s, for a fast growing colliery villages which required its own infrastructure and facilities. It opened in 1926 under the Miners Welfare Fund, and was opened by James Robson who was president of the Durham Miners Association.

The cost was around £5000, with £4000 having been spent at opening and a further £1000 applied for under the fund. By full completion in the early 1930s the ground had 2 bowling greens, putting greens, at least 4 tennis courts, a band stand and a pavilion. The welfare hall and pavilion was opened in 1931 under the supervision of Mr Barras and Peter Lee.

A tennis club was organised in 1929 to play in Division 3 of the Sunderland District Tennis League.

Though the grounds still remain, it has been rationalised extensively. 1 bowling green is in situ but disused and the rest of the grounds has been turned into a general recreation pitch with goal posts. A small children's play area occupies the tennis courts area.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1946

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The recreation grounds at Wheatley Hill in the 1940s. Source: Google Earth

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page