top of page



West Auckland, Football Ground

54.629230, -1.719662

West Auckland






Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

5 Mar 2024

West Auckland FC, West Auckland Town

HER Description

NEHL - A football ground has stood just south of the village since 1893, when West Auckland FC were founded. Within 3 years, they were inducted into the Wear Valley League and later played in the South Durham Alliance, Mid Durham League and the Northern League after renaming themselves West Auckland Town.

The ground in the 1890s was austere - an enclosed maintained pitch of grass with no clubhouse nor facilities. This remained the case until at least the 1920s. By 1939 the ground had a small pavilion on its western side though that was it. Since then, modest stands have been erected and now has a capacity of 2000 with 75 seats. According to aerial imagery from 1946, the pavilion appears to have been demolished. We can speculate the pavilion was an iron hut so could have been required for the war effort. Either way, the ground appears unmaintained at this time.

The club is known as the two time winners of the Sir Thomas Lipton Trophy, when they were inducted into a European tournament between Torino, Stuttgarter Sportfreunde and Winterthur of Switzerland in 1909. In 1911 they beat Juventus, Torino and FC Zurich.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1947

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The ground can be seen in the centre of this shot, just above the village. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_106g_uk_1700_rs_4007 flown 27/08/1946 (27 August 1946)

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page