top of page



St Anthonys, Football Ground

54.963667, -1.557926



1890s (?)





Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

20 Sept 2023

Walker Celtic (1894)

HER Description

NEHL - A football ground stood just west of St Anthony's Church from c.1900s until the 1920s when the residential developments in Walker expanded. The ground had a small clubhouse and connected by a worn path to St Anthonys Station and Walker Road.

The ground was likely used by Walker Celtic, who were founded as early as 1894 (contrary to info provided on Wikipedia). A piece from the Jarrow Express includes a request from Walker Celtic FC to arrange matches with any junior clubs in the area aged 13-14. A much later piece in the Sunday Sun of 1919 describes the team playing Mickley at the "St Anthonys Ground". At this point, this was the only ground in the area. When residential developments came into full force a ground was constructed south of Old Walker just north of the old gas holder. This was presumably where they met afterwards.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1907

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Evistones Gardens, 2023

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page