top of page
og1.png

wa07

Quoits

Queens Head, Quoits Ground

54.989992, -1.538100

Wallsend

Opened:

c1860s

Closed:

Unknown

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

29 Jun 2023

HER Description

NEHL - The yard of the Queen's Head at Wallsend was used as a Quoits Ground in the 1860s and potentially earlier. Advertisements are noted in the Newcastle Chronicle for quoits handicaps at the pub distancing 9 yards. Entrance was 1s 6d and belonged to a Mr William Dodd.

The yard appears to still be extant behind the pub on satellite imagery.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page