og1.png

wa02a

Cricket, Tennis Bowls, Rugby, Football

Northern Electric Sports Ground

54.999298, -1.533385

Wallsend, North Tyneside

Opened:

19th c

Closed:

1996

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

7 Jul 2022

Wallsend Wanderers

HER Description

"Originally, the field was common land, as part of what up until the end of the 19th century was called Threap Moor.

It was bought from the Bishops of Durham by the Battle Hill Estate Company, under whose ownership Hall Farm was built and the field was used as farmland.

Then in 1909, it was transformed into a cricket pitch, eventually coming under the ownership of The North Eastern Electricity Board, who expanded the sporting facilities to include lawn and clay tennis courts, a bowling green, a rugby pitch and a football pitch."

The Chronicle - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/planning-battle-over-sports-field-1419401

NEHL - Contemporary newspapers also indicate Wallsend Wanderers Rugby Club played at this site in the 19th century, pre-dating Northern Electrics ownership. It was named the "Hall Farm" ground.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png