Bath Terrace, Tennis Court
30 Jan 2024
NEHL - A tennis & racquet court was opened as part of the Bath Hotel in the late 1890s or very early 1900s. It is noted on an auction notice in July 1901 as having a "large racquet and tennis courts" along with club rooms, garden grounds and superintendents house.
The court itself can be seen on aerial imagery from 1927, featuring a metal fence enclosure and markings. It does appear to be separate from the Bath Hotel at this time.
A building has been constructed at the site.
Ordnance Survey, 1890s
Historic England. Aerofilms Collection Historic England Photograph: EPW019755 flown 18/10/1927
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
The tennis court was situated behind this wall from Priors Park.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by