top of page
og1.png

tri05

Football

St Pauls, Football Ground

54.718822, -1.408144

Deaf Hill, Trimdon

Opened:

c1930s

Closed:

20th c

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

6 Feb 2024

HER Description

NEHL - A football ground was opened here in the 1920s/30s but has since been redeveloped for housing.

It was likely the home of one of two clubs - Deaf Hill United or Deaf Hill FC. Both were established clubs in the settlement though it has been difficult to specify which club, or perhaps both. A piece from the Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail does suggest the Re. R Towers wanted the vicarage grounds to be used with the "recently-formed sports' club for church people", however again this club has been difficult to research.

The ground featured its own pavilion in the south west corner, with access gained through the vicarage. Today, this whole site has been redeveloped for housing.

The ground was constructed on the grounds of the Vicarage

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1946

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The football ground can be seen in the centre of this shot behind the vicarage. Source: Google Earth, 1940s

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page