top of page
og1.png

tri02

Football, Cricket, Tennis, Bowls

Trimdon Grange Sports Ground

54.713756, -1.419947

Trimdon

Opened:

20th c

Closed:

20th c

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

16 Jan 2023

Deaf Hill CC, Trimdon Grange FC

HER Description

NEHL - In this location stood a multi purpose recreation ground with a cricket ground, football ground, 3 tennis courts and a bowling green. There were 3 pavilions in total to accommodate the various sports, with cricket being played on the further east side.

The ground was developed in the 1900s/1910s on top of a former plantation, though had seemingly disappeared later in the century. Tenants included Deaf Hill CC, a cricket club formed by at least 1887 as per a contemporary report in the 1887 Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail, when they were in the process of seeking a new ground. It is unlikely this ground was in use until the 1900s.

Trimdon Grange FC were operating from at least the 1890s when a benefit football match was played for Mr Joseph Coward, who was off work for 7 or 8 months in 1898. They played against Wingate White Star, winning 2-1.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page