top of page
og1.png

towl04

Tennis

Wolsingham Road, Tennis Courts

54.742970, -1.816878

Tow Law

Opened:

c1920s

Closed:

Unknown

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

19 Apr 2024

HER Description

NEHL - One of multiple tennis courts in Tow Law stood on Wolsingham Road, behind the former Ironworks Inn between around the 1920s and the mid 20th century. It is illustrated on Ordnance Survey maps published in 1946 as an enclosed set of at least two courts, with an entrance from Wolsingham Road and a footpath from the former ironworks complex.

The site is now a public park, and the Ironworks Inn has been demolished.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1946

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Aerial photography shows the boundary of the tennis court in the centre of this image from 1946. Source: Google Earth

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page