top of page
og1.png

towl02

Tennis

Naismith Grove, Tennis Courts

54.744965, -1.818416

Tow Law

Opened:

c1930s

Closed:

Unknown

Repurposed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

5 Jan 2024

HER Description

NEHL - A set of tennis courts were opened adjacent to a playing field on Naismith Grove around the 1930s. The complex was opened on old industrial land, with a tramway for the Tow Law Iron Works still sitting in situ through the 30s next to the ground.

There were at least two courts on this site, though sadly aerial images from 1945 are too low a resolution to decipher the exact nature of the grounds. The playing grounds are in situ, but the court has been repurposed as a general sports court.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page