top of page


Cricket, Football

Tantobie, Cricket Ground

54.884713, -1.724888







Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

22 Dec 2023

Tantobie CC

HER Description

NEHL - The cricket ground at Tantobie is likely to have been used by the village club since its inception in 1892. The first mention of the club is in 1893 at their first AGM in January. The president was John Arklees, and were seeking matches with 1st and 2nd elevens. At this time, there is no obvious indicator that it was used for the cricket on the 1890s maps.

A list of players who enlisted for the Great War is noted in the Consett Guardian of 10/09/1915. At this time it is noted as a small club of only 20 members, though a Mr R Nicholson had already been killed by this point in the war. He was noted as a "very pleasant fellow, never happier when playing cricket - a good bowler and a left hand bat...killed in France".

It is in the 1930s when the site is illustrated as a sports ground on Ordnance Survey maps. Part of the site was landscaped and levelled in the north west corner, likely for cricket, and featured a pavilion on the north end.

Tantobie Cricket Club are still operation, with a redeveloped pavilion and small football pitch on the south side. This is used by Tantobie Oak Tree FC, a local Sunday side.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1967

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Aerial imagery of the cricket ground in 1945 via Google Earth

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page