top of page
og1.png

su05

Golf

Pallion Golf Club

54.913935, -1.424917

Pallion, Sunderland

Opened:

1913

Closed:

1940

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

21 Apr 2023

Sunderland Golf Club

HER Description

NEHL - A golf club was established at Pallion in January 1913, with construction having commenced in 1912. It was formed by the Sunderland Golf Club, with a membership of around 80 men and 25 women. In its first year many of its facilities were temporary, with greens and the course still in the midst of construction.

The course was over 50 acres at its inception, but the 9 hole course was later expanded by another 20 acres with permanent greens. The club played various clubs in the North East including East Boldon around this time. The pavilion stood just above the railway line at North Ford Farm, connecting with a footpath to Pallion Brick Works and the wider area.

The course was abandoned by 1940, perhaps in part due to the war and enlarging industry enveloping the area. Housing developing and amenities had already expanded further south of the railway line. The pavilion was still standing after the war.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1946

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The pavilion can be seen in this shot after the war, some 7 years after closure. Source Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_cpe_uk_2352_rp_3309 flown 04/10/1947

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page