Quaking Houses, Cricket Ground
South Moor, Stanley
17 Oct 2023
South Moor CC
NEHL - This site may have been the home of South Moor Cricket Club since their inception in around 1887. An enclosed ground is illustrated on the 1890s Ordnance Survey maps near The Barracks and South Moor Colliery, though doesn't show any distinct features. The enclosed box boundary is often indicative of sports sites, given the contrast against the more natural farm boundaries.
South Moor CC had formed in around 1887, with a first newspaper reference being in 1887 against the Felling Church Institute. It was played at Felling. The first home game noted was on the 9th July against Ouston.
The first formal mention of this site on maps is the map surveyed in 1915. A pavilion features on the west side of the ground.
South Moor Cricket Club (aka Quaking Houses Cricket Club) are still active, though play in an adjacent field. This particular ground is now used for football.
Ordnance Survey, 1919
The cricket ground can be seen in the centre of this aerial shot from the 1940s. Source: Google Earth
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by