Stockton West End Bowling Club
8 Dec 2023
West End Bowling Club
NEHL - The West End Bowling Club transpired from the Ropner Park Bowling Club, which was established in 1895 after the park was opened in 1893. Continual problems at the green due to defects had led to tumblings in the local leagues, leading to great dissatisfaction within the club itself, and asked the Corporation to remedy the faults.
A new club was formed, the West End Bowling Club, in 1903/1904 which was still attached to Ropner Park. They applied for admission to the Cleveland and South Durham Bowling League in February of the same year, but had received opposition by the existing Stockton Ropner Park Club saying there was only one fit green to play at the park. As a result, it had to be shared through the week.
According to their own history, this green was laid down in 1923 by ex servicemen. The first match was against Ropner Park, represented by long established players from the outset of the club as a celebration. Further extensions have taken place since, including to the clubhouse and other facilities.
Ordnance Survey, 1947
The bowling green can be seen at the bottom of the shot. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_58_b_59_vp1_5147 flown 30/07/1948
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by