top of page
og1.png

stkn16

Tennis

Hartburn Beck, Tennis Courts

54.554177, -1.335576

Stockton

Opened:

c1930s

Closed:

c1940s

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

8 Dec 2023

HER Description

NEHL - This tennis ground sat on the east bank of Hartburn Beck was one of a cluster of tennis courts and bowling greens near Hartburn Bridge. They cropped up around the 1930s, serving the burgeoning local community which was developing at Hartburn.

These courts stood directly south of the bowling green, which has since been reclaimed as a recreational area. It was a set of at least two courts, with a small clubhouse/pavilion on the right hand side. A footbridge stood over the beck at the courts. providing access to the other side of the beck.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1947

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The tennis court stood at the bottom of the image, underneath the bowling green. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_58_b_59_vp1_5147 flown 30/07/1948

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page