top of page
og1.png

stkn15

Tennis

Hartburn Beck, Tennis Court

54.555067, -1.334744

Stockton

Opened:

c1930s

Closed:

c1940s

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

8 Dec 2023

HER Description

NEHL - This tennis ground sat on the east bank of Hartburn Beck was one of a cluster of tennis courts and bowling greens near Hartburn Bridge. They cropped up around the 1930s, serving the burgeoning local community which was developing at Hartburn.

This specific tennis court was on a footpath leading to the bowling green which still exists. Aerial photography in the 1940s dictates it was actually dismantled fairly quickly post war. Nothing remains of the court.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1947

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The tennis court stood directly north of the bowling green, though was dismantled by this shot in 1948. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_58_b_59_vp1_5147 flown 30/07/1948

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page