Hartburn Beck, Tennis Court
8 Dec 2023
NEHL - This tennis ground on the west side of Hartburn Beck was one of a cluster of tennis courts and bowling greens near Hartburn Beck. They cropped up around the 1930s, serving the burgeoning local community which was developing at Hartburn.
This specific tennis court appears to be part of the private residence on Darlington Road, but had disappeared by the end of the 1940s as per aerial imagery. It appears to have been turned into allotments, though the bowling green survived.
Ordnance Survey, 1947
This is the site of the tennis court in the centre of the shot, though had been dismantled a couple years prior. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_58_b_59_vp1_5147 flown 30/07/1948
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by