top of page
og1.png

stkn12

Tennis

Hartburn Lane, Tennis Court

54.555436, -1.332193

Stockton

Opened:

20th c

Closed:

Unknown

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

30 Nov 2023

HER Description

NEHL - A tennis court was situated behind dwellings on Hartburn Lane from at least the 1930s. The court had public access so may have been in use for the public, however an advertisement in the Middlesbrough Daily Gazette of 09/05/1940 foes offer 5 tennis courts to let. This may include this specific site meaning it would be private.

The court was redeveloped in favour of further housing in the latter half of the 20th century.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1947

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The tennis court can be seen just south of centre behind the houses on Hartburn Lane. There are two in situ. Source: Historic England. Aerofilms Collection Historic England Photograph: EAW024096 flown 22/06/1949

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page