Salisbury Terrace, Bowling Green
13 Nov 2023
Stockton Bowling Club
NEHL - The Stockton Bowling Club were formed in this area in 1895. The club played elsewhere for its first year, but by 1896 they had obtained land belonging to the Pottery Company opposite the Brown Jug Inn. This was situated on an old clay pit, with the pottery co. still exploiting the land directly south. Much of the funding for this came from subscription from its members, which peaked at 50 in 1898 and were part of the Northern Division in the area. They were also part of the Cleveland Challenge Cup.
The first appearance of the green is on the map published in 1918. Again there is no expected rectangular green, but instead an enclosed patch of land which likely had a timber or a corrugated iron boundary to stop stray bowls. By 1947, a clubhouse was built likely for storage and changing. The Brown Jug, given its use as an AGM prior, was probably used as facilities previous.
The ground can be seen on aerial shots from 1953. There is a small wooden shed on its north side, and the clubhouse is peeking from the buses on the left side. It gives an indication into how small the site was, with only just enough room for the perimeter itself.
The ground is still used by Stockton Bowling Club, and the boundary has expanded with a much larger clubhouse.
Ordnance Survey, 1947
The green can be seen in the centre left of this shot. Source: Historic England. Aerofilms Collection Historic England Photograph: EAW052006 flown 05/09/1953
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Source: Historic England. Aerofilms Collection Historic England Photograph: EAW024106 flown 22/06/1949
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by