Football, Tennis, Bowls, Netball
Ashmore's Sports Ground
13 Nov 2023
NEHL - A football ground was bedded in adjacent to the railway line at Oxbridge around the 1930s. Upon opening, it simply featured two sheds on its north end, though by the end of WWII the ground featured multiple tennis courts and a bowling green as seen on aerial imagery in 1949.
The land was locally known ash Ashmore's, as it was the sports club for the local engineering firm "Ashmore Benson & Pease". It was used by their teams, employees and families and were likely the original owners of the facility.
It had a modern sports pavilion with changing rooms, a concert room with dancefloor as well as football, bowls and cricket pitches.
It was later sold to the local authorities and from there under council ownership, though the concert room was retained and remained to be called "Ashmore's". It is now known as Grangefield Youth and Community Centre.
Aerial photography from 1949 also indicates the land was used for cricket and potentially netball.
Thanks to Jon May for the wider information on this site.
Ordnance Survey, 1947
The football ground in 1949 can be seen adjacent to the railway line. Source: Historic England. Aerofilms Collection Historic England Photograph: EAW024088 flown 22/06/1949
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
The ground in 1948, showing various field markings. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_58_b_59_vp1_5132 flown 30/07/1948
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by