Rugby, Cricket, Tennis
The Grangefield Ground
9 Nov 2023
Stockton CC (1892 -), Durham CC (1947 - 2006), Stockton RFC (2015 -)
NEHL - The Grangefield Ground was considered for purchase by Stockton CC in 1891 with the committee having, after close inspection, originally declined the offer due to a harsh gradient. The president Mr Wrightson offered to place £1000 at the disposal of the club on mortgage at 3%, and offered to contribute £100 towards laying out of the ground. The ground had been owned by a Mr Trotter, who also reduced his offer from £300 per acre to £200 per acre and offered more if they required it.
The first match played here was in June 1892 against a Norton XI, though it had to be abandoned due to bad weather. Before abandonment it was opened by Mr Wrightson, who presided at Norton Hall, supported by the MP for Stockton Sir Horace Davey.
The ground is first shown on the 1890s Ordnance Survey maps. It was an austere ground though featured two pavilions - one on the west side and one in the north west corner. The Grangefield Farmhouses encroached onto the field, presumably owned by the Mr Trotter mentioned. Housing developments soon encroached onto the area with the growth of Stockton though, and by the 1930s the farm had been demolished in favour of suburban development. At this same time, a tennis court was added to the south side of the site.
Post war, Durham CC played occasional matches at the ground, with this agreement lasting into the 2000s.
Stockton RFC moved to the ground in 2015, making use of this facility as well as the neighbouring fields.
Ordnance Survey, 1890s
Grangefield Cricket Ground in 1948, Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_58_b_59_vp1_5131 flown 30/07/1948
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by