top of page
og1.png

stil01

Cricket, Football

Stillington Station, Cricket Ground

54.605384, -1.427295

Stillington

Opened:

c1880

Closed:

Unknown

Repurposed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

26 Oct 2023

Carlton Ironworks CC, Stillington Cricket & Football Club

HER Description

NEHL - Carlton Ironworks CC utilised this ground since at least 1880, when the first mention of their club appeared in local newspapers. The actual village sprang up to house the workers five years later, so it may be at most a decade older. The Northern Weekly Gazette of 1880 notes an athletics festival was held here by the committee of the Carlton Ironworks Reading Room, by permission of the cricket club. Handicap hurdle, tug of war, high jump and a cricket match between the married and singles all took place.

The club had been operating for at least 7 years before reforming the club. By 1887 they had also been playing football as a multi-sports club, so renamed themselves the Stillington Cricket and Football Club. In 1887 they had played eleven matches - won five, lost five and drew one. Both sports will have been played on this field.

Curiously, it doesn't appear there were any formal facilities at the ground. Changing rooms may have been provided at the Royal Hotel of the Sunday School nearby.

The ground is still used for sports, though recreationally.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page