top of page
og1.png

ss04

Football, Bowls, Tennis

Cleadon Park

54.968452, -1.402840

Harton, South Shields

Opened:

1918

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

12 Jan 2024

HER Description

NEHL - The Cleadon Park estate, with its mansion house designed by John Dobson which later became Cleadon Park Hospital, was acquired by the South Shields Corporation in 1918. The land was originally farmland, but was later subject to industrial exploitation. quarries and lime kilns littered the land. James Kirkley, a local coal magnate, commissioned the design of the park for his own pleasure. The mansion house noted above was his residence.

JH Morton & Son, who designed the Palladium nearby, were hired by Kirkley to design the gardens, palm house and terrace.

For the parks opening, the quarry was filled and levelled. From there tennis courts, three bowling greens and large playing fields were landscaped and constructed. Football was also played here, with Cleadon Park CP (a junior team) finding their home here in the mid 20th century.

Some of the sports facilities are still in use. All bowling greens are in situ but none are currently used after a starvation of government funding, while the tennis courts are still in situ.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1940s

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Cleadon Park in 1954. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_82_1008_f22_0156 flown 01/09/1954

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The bowling green most recently used, but now forlorn in 2024.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page