og1.png

ss02

Football

Lawe Heugh, Football Ground

55.002425, -1.431144

South Shields, South Tyneside

Opened:

1870s

Closed:

Unknown

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

15 Jul 2022

HER Description

NEHL - References made in newspapers and contemporary sources suggests there was a primitive football ground at Lawe Heugh, otherwise known as Shields Heugh on the Lawe top. This was as early as the 1870s, and may have been the home ground for various local clubs. At this time Football was emerging as a popular sport, and dozens of clubs will have sprouted up in South Shields.

Shields Heugh was an wide open field covering about 2/3 of the way between the Tyne and the North Sea. It was built on by terraced housing in the 1880s and 1890s, but it can be visible on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey seen below.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1860s

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png