top of page
og1.png

sp02

Greyhound

Spennymoor Greyhound Stadium

54.696425, -1.592978

Spennymoor

Opened:

1950

Closed:

1998

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

21 Aug 2023

HER Description

NEHL - Spennymoor's Greyhound Stadium was opened on vacant industrial land cleared by a previous brick works at Merrington Lane in 1950, with the first meeting on the 30th June. It was considered an ideal location considering its proximity to the terraces enveloping the iron works, pits and railway around Low Spennymoor.

It defied the trend of many dog tracks, being opened after the Second World War in the still growing town of Spennymoor. It built a solid reputation as an flapping track i.e independent of the governing body, and continued so for the next 4 decades.

Popularity was maintained throughout the first 30 years or so. In fact, by 1980 there was additional meetings on Thursday and Saturday to accommodate for the enduring popularity of racing in the town which saw expansion of its boundaries in this part of the century.

The 90s saw its decline and eventual downfall, after the site was purchased by a development company before again being owned independently. Moves were made to join the NGRC and make it affiliated, and was eventually granted in 1997. The site had become run down however, and financial constraints resulted in liquidation leading to eventual closure in January 1998. Though interest was shown by various parties to reopen, vandalism and arson brought any hopes of reopening to the furore.

The site has since been cleared but was previously an illegal dumping ground. The site is earmarked for housing development.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1967

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Spennymoor Stadium in the 1960s, with the Spennymoor terraces and Dean and Chapter pit forming the backdrop. Original source unknown.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Spennymoor Greyhound Stadium in 1980. Source: RJRoweCollection, Wikipedia. Creative Commons License.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page