top of page
og1.png

shtn04

Tennis

Flemingfield, Tennis Courts

54.762394, -1.401872

Shotton Colliery

Opened:

1930s

Closed:

pre-1960s

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

15 Aug 2023

HER Description

NEHL - A small tennis court was situated near Flemingfield from the 1930s, and appeared to have been dismantled by the 1960s. It is not known why or who operated this court, but there is a chance it was in use by the nearby schools of the farm for private use.

It can be seen, albeit faintly, on aerial imagery from 1948.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1946

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The tennis court can be faintly seen in the centre of this aerial image. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_58_b_26_v_5062 flown Unknown

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page