top of page
og1.png

shil02

Football

West Street, Football Ground

54.632714, -1.657569

Shildon

Opened:

1880s

Closed:

1890s

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

18 Jul 2023

HER Description

NEHL - A local newspaper piece (https://swd.news/history-of-football-in-shildon/) states " a field on the north side of what is now West Auckland Road, owned by Mrs S E McNaughton who had the Surtees Arms" was popular for football in the 1880s or 1890s. It was adjacent to Shildon Lodge Colliery as well as the main street, which does make it a prime place for sport.

Though terraces had soon spring up in the 1890s, there was a field with a rectangular enclose in situ by 1895, so we would assert this is the field in question. It is also important to note it may have been used for multiple sports such as cricket.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page