top of page


Cricket, Tennis

Station Road, Cricket Ground

54.650871, -1.459545







Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

19 Jun 2023

Sedgefield CC

HER Description

NEHL - A cricket ground is illustrated on this site from the 1910s as a small rectangular enclosure with a shed-like building on the western side, at a similar location to todays clubhouse. Sedgefield CC appear to have already played at Back Lane from the 1840s, but moved here in the 1910s.

It is worth noting in the 1900s there appears to be a Sedgefield CC and Sedgefield Town CC - whether they were different clubs is not known though this would be unusual. There was also a Sedgefield Asylum CC.

By the 1930s the site had expanded into its current boundaries, and also had constructed a tennis ground at the site. There were two pavilions, and at this point housing developments had reached the site which was previously common ground on the edge of Hardwick Park.

The ground is still in use, though the clubhouse has since been reconstructed.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1943

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Undated photograph reputing to be Sedgefield Cricket Club.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page