top of page


Football, Bowls, Tennis, Cricket

Seaham Colliery Welfare Ground

54.844125, -1.364151







Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

8 Jun 2023

New Seaham Park CC (1903), Seaham CW (1930), Seaham Red Star (1973)

HER Description

NEHL - New Seaham Park first opened in 1903 after the Marquis of Londonderry presented 8 acres of ground to the town. According to the Daily Gazette for Middlesbrough in 29/05/1903, it "comprised a field on the west side of the vicarage, for the use of the parishioners at New Seaham for a recreation ground". Upon opening there was a tennis court, bowling green and a park for children.

The New Seaham Park Cricket Ground was founded some 8 years later in June 1911. It was opened at the New Seaham Recreation Ground by Mr Corbett, who was agent to the Londonderry Collieries. Within the 8 years, the ground covered 144 acres with around £2000 spent on upgrading the site. A new pavilion was donated by Lord Londonderry, and charged rent which was "nominal". The club continue playing at the same site today.

Seaham CW started playing on the ground just south of the cricket ground in 1930, with the first newspaper mention of a match against Herrington Swifts in the Wearside League of 1930. A piece from the Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail of 23/10/1930 notes the opening of a new pavilion at the football ground costing £1000 and to "the most modern design". The ground was laid out at a cost of £2500 and was utilised by Seaham CW since August. Alderman Hoy was present at the celebration for his 27 years service to the park, where pioneered its use since it was a pit village recreation ground from 1903. The club appear to have folded at the end of the 1960 season as newspaper references dry up, but they may have continued after this.

Seaham Red Star took over the site in 1973, being at that point a Sunday league side but eventually playing in the amateur regional leagues. Their first season at the ground was in the Houghton and District League, but joined the Northern Alliance in 1974. Later they joined the historic Wearside League and won various trophies including the Durham Challenge Cup and league in the early 80s.

The club still play at the site, and much of its amenities still remain.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1966

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The welfare ground and its environs in 1956. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_540_1792_f21_0439 flown 13/03/1956

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page