top of page
og1.png

seah05

Tennis

New Drive, Tennis Ground

54.840796, -1.347826

Seaham

Opened:

19th c

Closed:

20th c

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

8 Jun 2023

HER Description

NEHL - A lawn tennis ground was situated in the south west corner of the Seaham Harbour Cricket Ground (seah04), provided by Lord Londonderry in 1868. This ground likely shared the same facilities and certainly utilised by the members of the cricket club. The ground appears to still be extant by the 1940s, but has since been redeveloped. It is visible on aerial imagery from the 1940s.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1897

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The ground in 1948. Source_ Source Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph_ raf_58_b_26_v_5169 flown 09_05_1948

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page