Seaham Harbour, Cricket Ground
8 Jun 2023
Seaham Harbour CC
NEHL - This patch of land, which was first enclosed with a hawthorn hedge on pasture land, has been used by Seaham Harbour CC since their inception in 1868. A piece from the Durham County Advertised of 29/05/1868 states they have got their new ground "in capital order", with the present season being entered upon "with pleasure and confidence".
The club played friendly matches throughout the 19th century owing to a lack of any league. A big benefactor was Lord Londonderry, who allowed use of the land on his Seaham Hall estate. The 1890s 25 inch Ordnance Survey may illustrates the ground though is unmarked. It is wedged between the "New Drive" and the Londonderry Railway, and featured a small pavilion on the same site as todays pavilion. A tennis ground was also on the grounds in the south western corner.
The club joined the Durham Senior League in 1902 and competed against such clubs as Wearmouth Colliery, South Shields, Tudhoe and Sunderland. Seaham Ernest were in the North Durham Senior League at this time. The club were paying piecemeal rent of £5 a year to the Lord for use of the ground.
Success continued at the ground, winning the league in 1946 and 1953. The original club folded in 2018 though a phoenix team was formed shortly after. The ground is still in use.
Ordnance Survey, 1897
The ground in 1948, around the time of their peak successes. Source: Source Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_58_b_26_v_5169 flown 09/05/1948
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
The ground on an unknown date with Vane Tempest Colliery in the background. Unknown original source but shared at http://seaham-harbour-cricket-club.blogspot.com/2005/07/history-of-shcc.html
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by