top of page



Findon Park Golf Club









Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

23 Mar 2023

Findon Park Golf Club (1929 - 1940)

HER Description

NEHL - A golf course north west of Sacriston was bedded in just before 1929, around the time Findon Park Golf Club was established. Due to the timeline of the course, it does not appear on maps, but was laid out in farmland just beyond Sacriston Wood.

The club appeared to be the centre of the community - various fetes and events took place here. For example, just after its opening in 1929 a fete was held featuring various golf competitions, dancing and 'sports day-esque' competitions.

By 1932, annual visitors reached 899, with the entrance fee £1 5s for men and £1 for women. A buffet bar was also mooted to make the club more attractive.

The last report on the club is in 1940, and was presumably abandoned due to the war.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1896, pre-golf course

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The site of the course in 1947, which appears to already have been repurposed back into farmland. There may be visible marks on the ground which indicate bunkers etc. Source Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_cpe_uk_2352_rp_3359 flown 04/10/1947

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page