top of page
og1.png

ryt01

Cricket

Ryton Cricket Ground

54.970706, -1.771834

Ryton

Opened:

c1887

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

27 Apr 2023

Ryton CC

HER Description

NEHL - The cricket ground has stood here since at least the 1910s, though has likely been its home ground since Ryton CC's inception circa 1887. It is likely as the field features a small building on the 1890s Ordnance Survey maps as well as a footpath to Emma Pit, making it a perfect location. Sports grounds often aren't marked this early. By the 1910s, the small building is retained alongside a new t-shaped pavilion. It is also now enclosed, with a boundary set.

Though their website dictates Ryton CC was founded in 1894, there are newspaper articles citing the club as early as 1887. The Consett Guardian reports on their first AGM in October 1887 which was held at the Cross in at Ryton. The month before, they had played a match at Medomsley.

The ground is still retained, though an expanded pavilion has been constructed in the south east corner of the ground.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1919

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Ryton Cricket Club can be seen in the centre of the photograph, with a clubhouse at its current location. The outline of the older iteration can still be seen though it had been demolished by this point. Source: Source Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_82_1008_f22_0419 flown 01/09/1954

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page