top of page
og1.png

rai02

Cricket

Middle Rainton, Cricket Ground

54.819537, -1.489938

Rainton

Opened:

1868

Closed:

1890s

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

9 Dec 2022

Middle Rainton CC (1868)

HER Description

NEHL - This cricket ground was the home of the lost 'Category D' village Middle Rainton's cricket club. They were founded in 1868, with a match against Colliery Row seen in the Durham Chronicle on 2nd October 1868. Middle Rainton were the victors. The ground stood on the south east end of the village between Rainton Grange and the junction to Meadows Lane which is still extant.

The club appear to have folded in the 1890s, with the last annual meeting at the Foresters' Arms being 1896.

Thanks to East Rainton CC for providing the info.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page