top of page
og1.png

qu01

Bull Baiting

Sandhill, Bullring

54.968428, -1.606926

Newcastle

Opened:

Closed:

1768

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

16 Sept 2022

HER Description

NEHL - Bull baiting took place on this spot up until 1768, though continued in other parts of the town. The bullring was found and excavated in the 19th century and now stands in the Garrison Room of the Castle Keep.

Bull baiting involved a bull tied to the ring. Spectators would bet on one of a number of dogs who would hold onto the bull's nose for the longest. It was a brutal sport and was outlawed in 1835.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1864

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The bullring can be seen during excavations in this shot.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page