Percy Main Recreation Ground
23 Mar 2023
Percy Main Black Watch FC
NEHL - A recreation ground was bedded in for the betterment of the residents of Percy Main around 1892. A letter was sent to the agent of the Duke of Northumberland to request a recreation ground, which was granted so long it was not used for any other purpose. In the Shields Daily News, it notes five acres would be granted for an annual rental of 10s. This was agreed by the town clerk and the mayor.
It was agreed goal posts and cross bars would be provided for the ground by the Borough Surveyor in 1898, which must have been taken down by 1913 or not erected at all.
By 1913, it was granted Percy Main Black Watch FC could play football on the grounds, and therefore have it levelled and erect goal posts "in like manner to the West End Recreation Ground".
The playing field was built on around the 1920s. More formal football and cricket grounds were established on the other side of the railway.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by