top of page


Tennis, Bowls, Football, Cricket, Quoits

Urpeth Miners Welfare Recreation Ground

54.877040, -1.605849







Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

27 Apr 2023

HER Description

NEHL - A recreation ground was constructed for the betterment of the miners of Urpeth Colliery and their families at Perkinsville in 1930. The first reference to the ground in local newspapers is from the Newcastle Daily Chronicle of April 1931, when tenders were sought for caters to provide for a local fete or fair on 25th April 1931.

The Durham, Mining Museum feature a report on the opening of the ground. It was an area of 10 acres, with a freehold purchase costing £1000. £7000 was spent from the welfare fund on the ground.

Upon opening, the ground had a bowling green, putting green, two tennis courts, a childrens playground, two football grounds, a cricket ground, two quoits pitches and a dancing area. There was also a brick building featuring a lavatory for both seces, as well as lath seating inside the shelter and a hygienic drinking fountain.

The ground has been scaled back, with only the football ground retained. The tennis and bowling section is now wooded. Funding was likely contracted when Urpeth Colliery closed in 1957.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page