top of page
og1.png

NUFC04

Football

Heaton, Football Ground

54.984314, -1.574195

Heaton, Newcastle

Opened:

1886

Closed:

1892

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

20 Sept 2023

Newcastle East End (Newcastle United) (1886 - 1892)

HER Description

NEHL - One of Newcastle United's first playing grounds. Under the guise of Newcastle East End (Previously Stanley FC), the football club started playing just off Chillingham Road for a short period of time until amalgamating with Newcastle West End in 1892 to form Newcastle United at St James Park.

The ground itself was adjoined with a cricket ground on its northern periphery, and was the first "proper" ground Newcastle East End played it. It featured small stands, a marked pitched and enclosed boundary for paying supporters.

Blackburn, Preston North End, Sunderland and Sheffield United all played here in either friendlies, the local leagues in Sunderland's case or the FA Cup.

Soon after it became railway land and housing, as did the cricket ground on its north end. Also, the renaming to Newcastle United came along not far away, at 43 Rothbury Terrace.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1899

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Heaton Junction today. Later owned by the railway but now scrubland.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Newcastle East End, likely at Heaton Junction. Original source unknown.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page