top of page
og1.png

NUFC01

Football, Cricket

Stanley Street, Football Ground

54.969401, -1.577665

Byker, Newcastle

Opened:

1881

Closed:

Unknown

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

20 Sept 2023

Stanley FC (Newcastle United) (1881 - 1884)

HER Description

NEHL - Stanley Street was the first ground NUFC's predecessor ever played. It was named after the street which no longer exists, and did so until they were renamed Newcastle East End. They only played at this ground for a few years before moving slightly north to Dalton St, which is now within the Byker Wall.

Stanley Street is actually the small section of Walker Road which remains between St Peter's Social Club and St Peter's Station, with the road only being built in 1870. It was previously the scene of multiple terraces, a number of churches and a large Corporation School for 350 boys, girls and 300 infants. This community that was fostered led way to the Stanley Cricket Club, later evolving into the football club to fill the gap over the cricket off-season.

The most likely location for the ground is the patch of land between Brinkburn Street and Bolam Way. This is in part thanks to the topography, and the locality of the chapel which was once situated where the social club has been built. This likely provided informal changing facilities for the players.

I've written a number of threads on the football club. You can see one here: https://x.com/neheritagelib/status/1695064233325572531?s=20

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The site of Stanley Street in 2021

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page