top of page
og1.png

ns05

Quoits

Earl Grey Inn, Quoits Ground

55.011017, -1.437254

North Shields

Opened:

19th c

Closed:

Unknown

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

23 Nov 2023

HER Description

NEHL - Quoits matches were hosted in the yard of the Earl Grey Inn at Hudson Street, first opened by at least the 1850s. Matches are referenced in the 1890s, when the landlord was a Mr Thomas J Bell. Handicaps were promoted by him at 10 yards on the clay with 5 1/2 lb quoits and 2 inch pints.

A yard was located on the north side of the inn. It is likely matches took place in this yard. The pub and all other surrounding buildings have been demolished in favour of recent residential development.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The Earl Grey Inn, situated next to the St Faith's Mission Church on Hudson Street. Undated, unknown source.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page