top of page

Sports Archive.

Two Bulls Heads, Quoits Ground

ncl08

Last Updated:

29 Jun 2023

Quoits

Home Teams & Clubs:

Opened:

Closed:

Unknown

Unknown

Redeveloped

Condition:

Newcastle

54.969289, -1.610442

NEHL - A Mr John Nelson of the Two Bulls Heads at Castle Garth advertised invitationals for amateurts to complete in Quoits matches at his pub in the 1860s. The prize was £5 with the quoits "belonging to the ground".

The Two Bulls Heads is now demolished, but near the Black Gate where the railway arch is now situated. It had existed from at least the 1790s, but appears to have been demolished in the 19th century. It does not appear on 1890s maps.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

bottom of page