top of page
og1.png

ncl07

Quoits

Edinburgh House Inn, Quoits Ground

54.968340, -1.627466

Newcastle

Opened:

1880s

Closed:

Unknown

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

24 Apr 2023

HER Description

NEHL - A Quoits ground stood in the yard of the Edinburgh House Inn from at least the 1880s to the 1890s, when the inn was either renamed the Crystal Palace Hotel or was closed. The ground is mentioned in a Newcastle Chronicle piece from August 1888, when a handicap was promoted by Mr J. E. Graham. Events were fairly commonplace across the North East as the sport required limited equipment and a small, albeit long space.

The 1890s town plan does show a yard behind the Crystal Palace Hotel, so it is reasonable to suggest they were held here. The area has been entirely redeveloped.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page