top of page
og1.png

ncl03

Tennis

Villa de St George, Tennis Court

54.978253, -1.617509

Newcastle

Opened:

19th c

Closed:

1900/10s

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

3 Feb 2023

HER Description

NEHL - A tennis court stood in the grounds of Villa de St. George close to Haymarket in the late 19th century and early 20th. The court was likely private for the use of the landowners. Contemporary newspapers pin this as a certain Thomas Greaves in 1857, a Mrs Johnson in the 1860s and a Mr Rowland Lambert in the 1880s. There are sadly no known photographs of the property, and was demolished for expansion of the tramcar depot and Haymarket Brewery.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page