top of page
og1.png

mit01

Golf

Middleton-in-Teesdale Golf Club

54.612446, -2.096959

Middleton in Teesdale

Opened:

1908

Closed:

1920s

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

18 Apr 2023

Middleton in Teesdale Golf Club

HER Description

NEHL - A golf course was established at Rams Gill in 1908 which featured 9 holes. According to the Ordnance Survey of the 1910s, it was spready out across a vast moor with no facilities per se. A footpath did follow from the railway station at the village to the moor so was easily accessibly from local transport. The ground started construction in 1908 but may have opened in 1910 as per the photograph below.

The course advertised in local newspapers until the outbreak of WWI - after this point the course may have fell out of use.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1910s

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Opening of the Middleton golf course with a sizeable crowd in 1910. Source: golfsmissinglinks.co.uk, no copyright noted.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page