top of page
og1.png

medo01

Cricket

Medomsley, Cricket Ground

54.886090, -1.816056

Medomsley

Opened:

1900s

Closed:

20th c

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

13 Mar 2023

Medomsley CC

HER Description

Cricket has been held at Medomsley since 1869, though this cricket ground was first recorded around 1900, in use by Medomsley CC. In the 1890s, it was oreviously open land with a small pond in the centre of it, deeming it unusable for sports which reliably informs us cricket was played elsewhere in the village at this point.

There was a small pavilion in the south west end of the field, which was connected by footpath to Derwent Colliery and the main lane south. An application was made to be part of the Tyneside League in 1929, after previously winning the Tanfield Nursing Cup and playing well in the Hornet Cup.

The field was in use until at least the mid 20th century.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Medomsley Cricket Club after winning the North West Durham League. Undated and unknown original source.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page