top of page
og1.png

mdw01

Cricket

Browney Colliery Cricket Ground

54.745806, -1.612310

Meadowfield

Opened:

20th c

Closed:

20th c

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

9 Mar 2023

Browney Colliery CC

HER Description

NEHL - Browney Colliery CC played at a ground in this location from at least 1915, where it is surveyed for the Ordnance Survey map of 1920. A ground with a small pavilion is shown adjacent to Browney Colliery in the south and allotments in the north. Browney Colliery CC played in the Coxhoe and District League alongside other collieries like Brandon, church teams like Langley Park Wesley and Kelloe Wesley, as well as village teams such as Mount Pleasant.

The ground can be seen on aerial imagery from the 1940s. It is nearly maintained, with a pavilion in the south west corner. The colliery had already been disused by 1939.

There was also a Browney W.G Juniors team in 1911, presumably attached to the institute north east of here.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1942

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The ticket ground can be seen just north of the disused Browney Colliery, between the allotments.
Source Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_106g_uk_1080_v_5021 flown 14/12/1945

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page