top of page
og1.png

mdt02

Bowls

Middleton St. George, Bowling Green

54.506337, -1.463589

Middleton

Opened:

19th c

Closed:

20th c

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

20 Mar 2023

HER Description

NEHL - A bowling green was constructed between St. Laurence's Church and the Ropner Convalescent Home in what appears to be the late 19th century. The bowling green was owned by the Convalescent home, founded in 1894 and was used as a military hospital in WWI. As a result, it's likely this was constructed alongside the wider complex.

The green can be seen on a photograph from the mid 1920s.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1947

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The Bowling Green can be seen in the foreground in this shot from the mid 1920s. Source: Donmouth.co.uk

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page